Wednesday, October 22, 2008

John 16 (TNIV)

John 16:

1 "All this I have told you so that you will not fall away. 2 They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, the hour is coming when those who kill you will think they are offering a service to God. 3 They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me.
4 I have told you this, so that when their hour comes you will remember that I warned you about them. I did not tell you this from the beginning because I was with you, 5 but now I am going to him who sent me. None of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' 6 Rather, you are filled with grief because I have said these things. 7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

12 "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you."

16 Jesus went on to say, "In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me."17 At this, some of his disciples said to one another, "What does he mean by saying, 'In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me,' and 'Because I am going to the Father'?" 18 They kept asking, "What does he mean by 'a little while'? We don't understand what he is saying."

19 Jesus saw that they wanted to ask him about this, so he said to them, "Are you asking one another what I meant when I said, 'In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me'? 20 Very truly I tell you, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy. 21 A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. 22 So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy. 23 In that day you will no longer ask me anything. Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.

25 "Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. 26 In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. 27 No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. 28 I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father."

29 Then Jesus' disciples said, "Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. 30 Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God." 31 "Do you now believe?" Jesus replied. 32 "A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me. 33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

John 16: 1 "All this I have told you so that you will not fall away (Jesus' words are used by Jesus here and the Holy Spirit in our lives to keep us from falling away). 2 They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, the hour is coming when those who kill you will think they are offering a service to God (implies a deep deception, ultimately inspired by Satan, who is a murderer and the father of lies [John 8:44]. Not all “religions” are good, for some religions will teach their followers that they are doing good when in fact they are doing the horribly evil act of murdering true followers of the Son of God. The apostle Paul himself, prior to his conversion, thought he was serving God by persecuting Christians (Acts 8:1-3; Galatians 1:13-14; 1 Timothy 1:13]). 3 They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me (One of John's continued emphasis seems to be on the knowledge/truth of God. He continually points to how the 'world' does not 'know' God [1:10; 8:55; 16:3; 17:25], but what we can be assured of is that in the Last Day all of the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Glory of the Lord [Hab 2:14]. What is the link between only those few disciples knowing God, the rest of the world not knowing God and the world being filled with the glory of that same God? The Missio Dei!!! Christians already know God, they have no alternative but to proclaim that knowledge today. In this connection it is their mission to display such mutual acceptance and love amongh themselves that the world will draw near, ask questions, and listen and thereby come to know that Jesus is the one whom God has sent to be its savior - John 4:42; 17:8, 20-26). 4 I have told you this, so that when their hour comes you will remember that I warned you about them. I did not tell you this from the beginning because I was with you, 5 but now I am going to him who sent me. None of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' (But Peter did ask this exact question in John 13:36 & c.f. with 14:5, so the present tense of “asks” probably has the sense, “none of you at the present time are asking me” - this was some time after the John 13:36 question after; see the indication of change of location in 14:31.) 6 Rather, you are filled with grief because I have said these things. 7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away (Why? Because while Jesus was on earth he could be in only one place at a time, but the Holy Spirit would carry on Jesus' ministry over the entire world at all times. In addition, in God's sovereign plan for the unfolding of history, the Holy Spirit would not come in new covenant power and fullness until Jesus returned to heaven). Unless I go away, the Advocate (The 'advocate' will indwell Jesus' followers forever, functioning as Jesus' emissary in his physical absence. The promise of the divine presence with Jesus' followers as they embark on the missio dei. This also refers back to the anticipation of the pouring out of the Spirit and the inauguration of the kingdom spoken of in OT prophetic literature - Isaiah 11:1-10; 32:14-18; 42:1-4; 44:1-5; Jeremiah 31:31-34; Ezekiel 11:17-20; 36:24-27; 37:1-14; Joel 2:28-32) will not come to you; but if I go, I will send (quick note: send or sent seems to be one of John's favorite ways to describe God, or the way God moves - First, John the Baptist was 'sent' to bear witness; then Jesus was "sent" to make the Father known and to do his work; then the Holy Spirit was "sent" by both the Father and the Son to continue Jesus' witness and work in the world; and finally the disciples are "sent" by Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit to accomplish Jesus mission in the world - John 1:6-8; 3:28; John 1:18; 4:35; 5:23; 6:38-39; 15:26; 16:7-11; 17:18; 20:21) him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment (The ESV says, "he will convict the world..." If you listen to most of our messages we are convinced that this verse says, we should convict the world, and blame it on the holy spirit when the world gets angry at us for 'doing the work of the spirit.' But this verse or this passage is a message of hope, in that we can rest that we don't have to be adaquit enough to convict the world, because we know that many who are in “the world” will not be part of “the world” forever but will repent of their sins and believe in Christ, and the Holy spirit will do the convicting...we are just messengers.): 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me (this is the ultimate sin, unbelief in Jesus Christ); 10 about righteousness (flawed understanding of justice), because I am going to the Father (this means that Jesus will no longer be in the world to teach about true righteousness, and so the Holy Spirit will come to carry on that function, through illumination and through the words of believers who bear witness to the gospel.), where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned - Albert C. Winn says, "According to the Johannine missionary theology, if the church is to be spiritual, that is filled with the Holy Spirit, it will find itself in confrontation with the world regarding sin, justice, and judgment. And if it is not in such confrontation, it is not obedient to the Spirit, not carrying out its mission; and its peace and unity, its regeneration and sanctification, its plethora of gifts and graces, are all going to waste." Another quote by Louis Berkhof: "The Holy Spirit cretes a world of his own, a world of conversion, experience, sanctification; of tongues, prohecy, and miracles; of upbuilding and guiding the church, etc. He appoints ministers; he organizes; he illuminates, inspires, and sustains; he intercedes for the saints and helps them in their weaknesses; he searches everything, even the depths of God; he guides into all truth; he grants a variety of gifts; he convinces the world; he declares the things that are to come..."

12 "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth (The Spirit's ministry of guiding Jesus' followers "into all truth" is a promise especially to the disciples/apostles, and it finds particular fulfillment in the subsequent work of these disciples in personally writing or overseeing the writing of the books of the NT. The promise, like the other things that Jesus says in these chapters, also has a broader application to all believers as the Holy Spirit leads and guides them [Romans 8:14 and Galatians 5:18]). He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come (The activity of the Holy Spirit in declaring the 'things that are to come' suggests that he knows the future, something that is true of God alone; this gives evidence of the full deity of the Holy Spirit. The word 'to speak' (Gk. anangellō) occurs over 40 times in the Septuagint translation of Isaiah, where declaring things to come is said to be the exclusive domain of God [Isaiah 48:14] and where God challenges anyone to declare the things that are to come - Isaiah 42:9; 44:7; 46:10; 41:21-29, specifically verses 22-23; Isaiah 45:19.). 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you."

16 Jesus went on to say, "In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me."17 At this, some of his disciples said to one another, "What does he mean by saying, 'In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me,' and 'Because I am going to the Father'?" 18 They kept asking, "What does he mean by 'a little while'? We don't understand what he is saying." 19 Jesus saw that they wanted to ask him about this, so he said to them, "Are you asking one another what I meant when I said, 'In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me'? - The first reference is plainly to the brief period between the crucifixion and the resurrection of Jesus, and the second reference is to the resurrection appearances [the “little while” after which the disciples will see Jesus again]. The phrase is repeated by both Jesus and the disciples, recalling four previous instances of “a little while” in John's Gospel - John 7:33; 12:25; 13:33; 14:19

20 Very truly I tell you, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy. 21 A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. 22 So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy. 23 In that day you (after his ressurection) will no longer ask me anything (in other words, they will get it!). Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name (Until now you have asked nothing in my name. While Jesus was on earth the disciples had not prayed to the Father in the name of Jesus. But now he was saying that they should do so. Here is another question, "what does it meant to pray 'in Jesus name'?" Praying in Jesus' name means praying in a way consistent with his character and his will [a person's name in the ancient world represented what the person was like]; it also means coming to God in the authority of Jesus. Probably both senses are intended here. Adding “in Jesus' name” at the end of every prayer is neither required nor wrong. Effective prayer must ask for and desire what Jesus delights in.). Ask and you will receive and your joy will be complete. (this statement reminds believers that frequent answers to prayer 'in Jesus' name' will give Jesus' followers great joy as they see God actively at work in the world in answer to their prayers. Our own experience testifies that Christians do not always receive all the things they ask from God. This verse must be understood in light of other passages of Scripture which show that praying according to God's will includes the need to pray in faith [Matthew 21:22, James 1:6], with patience [Luke 18:1-8], in obedience [Psalms 66:18; 1 Peter 3:12], and in submission to God's greater wisdom [Luke 22:42; Romans 8:28; 1 Peter 4:19], and most of all with His will and glory at the priority [Matthew 6:10-14]).

Desiring God, John Piper: Why is it that a deep life of prayer leads to fullness of joy, while a shallow life of prayer-lessness produces joylessness? The first reason prayer leads to joy is given in John 16:20-22. Jesus alerts the disciples that they will grieve at his death, but then rejoice again at His ressurection. Separatoin for Jesus means sadness. Restoration of fellowship means joy. Therefore, we learn that no Christian can have fullness of joy without a vital fellowhship wiht Jesus Christ....The first reason, why prayer leads to fullness of joy is that prayer is the nerve center of our fellwoship with Jesus. He is not here physically to see. But in prayer we speak to Him just as though He were. And in the stillness of those sacred tiems, we listen to His word and we pour out to Him our longings. Perhaps John 15:7 is the best summary of this 2-sided fellowship of prayer. When the Biblical words of Jesus abide in our mind, we hear the very thoughts of the living Christ...Out of the deep listening of the heart comes the language of prayer, which is sweet incense before God's throne....but there is a 2nd reason...John Piper contineus to say, Prayer provides the power to do what we love to do but can't do without God's help. The text says, "ask and you will receive, that your joy may be full." Receive what? What would bring us fullness of joy? The Power to Love! Or John puts it, the power to bear fruit. Prayer is the fountain of joy because it is the source of power to love (John 15:7-8). The connection is clear between prayer and fruit-bearing. God promises to answer prayers for people who are pursuing fruti that abounds to His glory. If we then look at verses 15:16-17, we can answer the question, "Why is Jesus going to give the disciples what they ask in Jesus' name???" Because they have been sent to bear fruti. The reason the Father gives the discipels the gift of prayer is because Jesus has given them a mission. In fact, the grammar of John 15:16 implies that the reason Jesus gives them their mission is so that they will be able to enjoy the power of prayer: "I send you to bear fruit...so that whatever you ask the Father...he may give you!"

25 "Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father (Here Jesus is directly refering the time after His resurrection when he would explain much more directly to them the meaning of all that he had done - Luke 24:27 and Acts 1:3). 26 In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. 27 No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. 28 I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father."(The truth is sin is the human condition, Jesus is God who came down from heaven and lived without sin so he could forgive our sin and take us to eternity with the father: Matthew 26:63-65; Mark 2:5; John 6:41-58; 8:46, 58-59; 10:30-33; 11:25; 14:6, 8-9)

29 Then Jesus' disciples said, "Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. 30 Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God." 31 "Do you now believe?" Jesus replied. 32 "A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home (this is probably a prediction of a coming hour when each of his followers will be scattered each. Look at John 19:27; Zecheriah 13:7; Matthew 26:31; and Matthew 26:56). You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me. 33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace (The expression 'peace' is the Hebrew word shalom, which had a much richer connotation than the English word does since it conveyed not merely the absence of conflict and turmoil but also the notion of positive blessing, wholeness, especially in terms of a right relationship with God [Numbers 6:24-26; Psalms 29:11; Hag. 2:9]. This may be manifested most clearly in the midst of persecution and tribulation from the world - John 15:18-19; 16:33). In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."- In the midst of the suffering and hardship that was to come, Jesus' disciples, and all following them, can have such “peace” in fellowship with Christ. Fittingly, Jesus' Farewell Discourse [John 13:31-16:33] ends on a note of triumph - 1 John 2:13-14; 4:4; 5:4-5.

No comments: